Sunday, September 13, 2009

What I'm Doing Tonight/Why I'm Pathetic

I really love awards show. I look forward to the Oscars every year with a sort of pathetic eagerness. But really, the MTV Video Music Awards? I watched them last year, and I'm watching them right now. I'm not entirely sure why. Part of it stems from the fact that I used to love watching this when I was about 14. Everyone did then, right? The movie awards were always on right when summer began, and the video music awards were on when it ended. Somehow, probably because I was 14, it all seemed really edgy in a way that it doesn't now. Now it all seems kind of lame, mostly because the only people who really seem to care are people who work at MTV. The channel tries really hard to show us how shocking and important the show has been, running specials about awards shows of years past as if they're trying to convince us of its relevance. Last year, someone on my facebook friends list complained that Russell Brand should not have been the host and that "MTV should hire a host with morals." That is probably the only time that MTV has shocked or offended anyone in the last 10 years, so good for them, I guess.
But the other reason I like to watch stuff like this stems from my fear of missing something that everyone else is talking about. I still remember what it felt like in high school when I showed up one morning and everyone was talking about how crazy it was when Justin Timberlake ripped part of Janet Jackson's outfit off at the Super Bowl. I felt left out, and guess what? There was no youtube then.
Actually I'm a little glad I am watching because Kanye West was just actin' a fool! That was actually kind of sad, you guys! Isn't Taylor Swift, like, 9 years old? He should take out his crazy on someone his own size/with a similar hairdo.

No comments:

 
/* Google_Analytics_Code */