Tuesday, June 23, 2009

We Watched It: Spring Breakdown

About three years ago, I was reading an issue of Bust magazine with Amy Poehler on the cover. In her interview, she talked about a new movie she had just finished filming. It also starred Rachel Dratch, Parker Posey, and Amber Tamblyn, and I was excited about it. "I can't wait," I thought to myself right before a flash-forward occurred that took me to the year 2009. That was when Spring Breakdown was finally released...straight to DVD.

Spring Breakdown was great. Okay, there were some problems, which I will address right now. First off, the entire movie was directed as if it were a kid's film. Secondly, it was a liiiittle cheesy. Thirdly, dated slang, which could probably be blamed on the fact that this movie was written like 5,000 years ago. But none of these crimes justify a straight to DVD release. This movie was really funny, you guys. I mean, Parker Posey was a revelation. Parker Posey is always a revelation. And I honestly think that Missi Pyle found the role of a lifetime. Also, I don't want to ruin anything for you, but Wilson Phillips is featured prominently, and if you've seen Harold & Kumar Go to Whitecastle, you know that can only lead to comedy bliss.
I would link to the trailer, but it doesn't really do the movie any favors. Also, Warner Bros. has the embedding disabled, because as we all know they don't understand how the internet works as a promotional tool. But you should really, really, really see this movie. It helped me to reaffirm why I never went on any spring break trips, and it was nice to see a movie about women like me (I am referring to all the flashbacks to the three of them in college, of course).
In closing, here's this. He hated it, but look at what he's wearing.

PS- Guess who's in this movie? Ann from Arrested Development and Millie from Freaks and Geeks.

No comments:

 
/* Google_Analytics_Code */