Monday, April 19, 2010

What Do You Do With A Problem Like Harmony Korine?

At this point, the amount of time I spend thinking about Harmony Korine is inversely proportionate to how much I like what he does. That is to say, I do not enjoy his films. I'm trying, though. It really irritates and saddens me when people don't attempt to like, or at the very least understand, a film, book, or piece of music. I majored in English and took a film class, and it was amazing to me how often people would come to a work with a closed mind, prepared to hate it. At least in my lit classes, people were generally so desperate to appear intelligent that they were willing to analyze and seriously consider just about anything. But an attitude that came up a lot was, "I don't understand this, so I don't like it." I don't ever want to be like that, so I really do try hard to appreciate a film or book as something that a person (or many people) spent a lot of time on. I mean, wouldn't it be depressing to go through life hating everything? It totally would.
That being said, I COULD NOT WATCH JULIEN DONKEY BOY.

Yikes, you guys. I was being semi-serious with all those pretentious ramblings above, but the point I want to make is that even with the best of intentions, that is a hard movie to get through! I've said it before and I'll say it again: Harmony Korine, what is your deal?
The Believer's recent film issue has an interview with Mr. Korine himself, and he manages to confuse me even more. He is married and has a kid. He edited Trash Humpers entirely on a VCR. A VCR! He loves to tap dance. He may or may not be a compulsive liar? Also, he looks like Steve Perry.

This post was mostly an excuse to post that picture.

No comments:

 
/* Google_Analytics_Code */