Sunday, April 11, 2010

Negative Nancy Part Deux

I saw Hot Tub Time Machine this weekend. I had extraordinarily low expectations going into it, so I figured that I couldn't be disappointed. I'm a pretty easy moviegoer to please; anytime I can zone out and watch some lowbrow humor I'll probably have a decent time. Kerry from a few years ago would've said she liked this movie. She would've said that because there were funny guys in it, and because the guys in the theatre liked it, and because saying you DON'T like a movie that's crass, filled with boobs, and maybe just a bit misogynistic gets you labeled a prude or a humorless bitch. But present day Kerry is emboldened by reading Julie Klausner's awesome book. Also, I remember Amy Poehler saying in a speech directed towards young girls, "Just because a boy says something is funny, it doesn't mean you have to laugh." This is all a roundabout way of saying that Hot Tub Time Machine seemed like something I would've seen on a date when I was 19, back when I still pretended I liked things (metal music, terrible remakes of horror classics, hanging out in basements) to impress guys.
But it did have my boyfriend, Clark Duke, as well as a very funny Chevy Chase and a relatively clever gag involving Crispin Glover. Also, the great Lizzy Caplan was in the movie for about 5 minutes, but she managed to elevate the whole thing with her husky-voiced charm. I love her! This movie, not so much. I love a good vomit joke (see: Paul Rudd in I Love You, Man) as much as the next guy, but just the mere sight of vomit does not count as a joke.
As Alex mentioned in his previous post, we try not to spend too much time here talking about what we don't like, so I found something really positive that came out of this situation. One of the trailers we saw was for this Queen Latifah vehicle (also starring Common).

Queen Latifah is such a tough trainer, you guys! I love that this trailer packs in so many great rom-com cliches. My favorite: a joking physical tussle that leads to a moment where the characters, now precariously close, stop and stare into each other's eyes. If I ever write a romantic comedy, you'd better believe I am using that one. I really hope Alex will see this with me.

No comments:

 
/* Google_Analytics_Code */