Monday, January 18, 2010

What the What?

Apparently someone is making a movie of the Murakami novel Norwegian Wood. How strange! I'd say I'm excited, but I seriously doubt I'll be able to see this movie until it's released on DVD, which won't be for quite awhile. Since, you know, it's coming out in December in Japan and all.
I actually haven't read this particular Murakami book, but recently I finished Sputnik Sweetheart. All I could think throughout was, "You crazy for this one, Murakami!" I like his novels/stories because they seamlessly piece together realism and the supernatural. His writing has a sort of dreamy, otherworldly quality even as it's grounded in basic human emotions like loneliness, grief, heartbreak, and mostly other depressing things. That being said, I've never been able to fully connect with Murakami's work. I don't know if it's just because the words have been translated, but for me it's like looking at a great work of art through a veil. I can tell that there's something beautiful there, but there's still something that I'm missing.
I'm curious to see how this film turns out. Film adaptations of novels usually hinge not so much on plot, but on tone, mood, and atmosphere, and the unique environment that Murakami creates will be a tough one to replicate. Either way, I'm excited!

No comments:

 
/* Google_Analytics_Code */