Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Avatar

I saw Avatar over break, but so did everyone. Do you know how I know that? Everywhere I go, I hear a guy talking to another guy about it. Do you know what they say? "Man, that story was so played out, but the special effects totally made up for it." Well, shut up because it's not even worth saying that. That's like me saying, "Man, Pizza Hut pizza is really delicious if you're in the mood for it, but the quality is inconsistent and once it gave me diarrhea." That does not need to be said. It's out there. It's been said before. Leave it be. One thing that I was thinking about as I watched Avatar was, obviously, the visual effects. Yes they were good. Very good. I don't know how well they are going to age, but that isn't important. As someone who is interested in visual effects, I hear a lot of talk about people becoming desensitized to a visual effect. Regardless of how impressive it is, it's almost impossible to amaze an audience with an effect. There will never be another Star Wars. We've crossed a line, where good visual effects are no longer a great delight to see, but are more of an expectation. Along these same lines though, people are more accepting of poorly composited digital effects than they should be (New Moon, X Men: Origins, etc.) What I have to say to all of this is whatever. More interesting things have definitely been said about this. What I was thinking about watching the film was, what effect do these photo-realistic effects have on real life. How are people raised on the incredibly detailed and realistic environments of films like Avatar going to react to the REAL footage of a series like Planet Earth. How can they be impressed by something like that when James Cameron can will floating mountains into existence. Will new audiences care if a film opts for practical effects? How will things based on live spectacle, such as magic acts, be affected by this? That's all I'm going to say about Avatar, oh except that one of the worst, and least talked about, aspects of the film was the Sam Worthington's voiceover. And the story stank.

No comments:

 
/* Google_Analytics_Code */