Monday, March 29, 2010

The Talented Winfrey Family's H.P. Lovecraft Book Club

Alex was right about April bringing some great things. Of course, as he mentioned, there's the Baby Mountain premiere and our brand-new film club. Also, Friend of TTWF Lauren is in Ohio this week! And IF YOU CAN HANDLE MORE, it's time for a new selection in our book club. But first, a little about our February/March selection, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick.
As Alex mentioned, our various clubs and projects are usually attempts to diversify our entertainment selections. I'm not a big science-fiction person--I mean, I grew up watching Star Wars and Alien with Alex and Dad, but those were basically just action movies in space. Also, it should be noted that the ONLY thing I remember about Alien is my dad saying, "There's a little Ripley butt crack," when Sigourney Weaver is fighting aliens in her underwear. Unfortunate but true. Regardless, I ended up really loving DADOES. Perhaps the word "unputdownable" is thrown around too often these days (it's not), but this book was unputdownable! I wouldn't want to ruin the story for anyone, so I won't divulge any plot points. I was going to share a short Philip K. Dick bio, but you all have Wikipedia. I will, however, point this out:
"Dick was "resurrected" by his fans in the form of a remote-controlled android designed in his likeness. The android of Philip K. Dick was included on a discussion panel in a San Diego Comic Con presentation about the film adaptation of the novel, A Scanner Darkly. In February 2006, an America West Airlines employee misplaced the android's head, and it has not yet been found."
I would recommend NOT checking out that android's picture on Dick's wikipedia page. It actually scared me a little.

Next month's TTWF H.P. Lovecraft Book Club pick is Snow Angels by Stewart O'Nan. I'm really excited about this one, even though Lexie's warned me it's going to be a downer (he's seen the movie, starring Mr. Sam Rockwell).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

woo hoo!

 
/* Google_Analytics_Code */