Thursday, January 6, 2011

Things I Shouldn't Be Thinking About

As everybody probably knows, Oprah Winfrey launched her television network recently. While OWN debuted to much fanfare, Martha Stewart's been quietly building her own TV empire on the Hallmark Channel.
When Martha moved her show to Hallmark, I thought to myself, "Downgrade, girl!" But this month, while I was flipping through Martha Stewart Living (my bff got me a subscription for the second year in a row, jealous?), and then later when I was perusing Whole Living (a Martha Stewart Omnimedia publication, natch), I noticed that half the ads were for shows on the Hallmark Channel. Shows produced by or starring Martha herself. So that's what the woman was doing...taking over Hallmark. In addition to her regular-style show, she has a baking show hosted by herself, a cooking show hosted by some other lady, and the show I'm most excited about:

Oh, hell yes. Marc Morrone is the best. That guy loves all the animals!
Out of curiosity, I decided to check out Hallmark's schedule. Do you want to know what's on today? You will not even believe me when I tell you. In addition to the aforementioned shows, you can watch three hours of Cheers, three and a half hours of Who's the Boss?, two hours of I Love Lucy, two hours of Little House on the Prairie, and (are you ready for this?) FOUR HOURS of the Golden Girls. FOUR HOURS! This channel does not even take a break to show informercials for the Slap Chop. It is just a straight shot of sitcom genius.
Congratulations, Martha. Oprah might have all the glory right now, but we all know you're just biding your time until the eventual takeover.

No comments:

 
/* Google_Analytics_Code */