Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My Favorite Books of 2010

I've been meaning to post about the best books I read this year (not necessarily books that were released this year, since I rarely read books right away). Here they are, in no particular order:

Snow Angels by Stewart O'Nan:

This book almost made me cry at work. I maintain that the last paragraph is one of the most perfect examples of prose I've ever read. If you haven't read Snow Angels yet, what are you waiting for? I can't recommend this enough. This book, to me, was about how painful it can be to realize how much sadness exists all around us, and how sometimes we can love each other with everything we have but it still won't be enough. Also it's about high school, which I always love.

Last Night in Montreal by Emily St. John Mandel:


Lauren loaned me this book when H. and I visited her in Brooklyn. I read almost the entirety of it at the airport and on the plane, so the book is kind of this wonderful, light-headed, hazy memory for me. I can't think of time I've ever read a book in so perfect a situation, because the story itself is kind of slippery and mysterious and very much suited for high-altitude reading.

Citrus County by John Brandon:

Holy Macaroni was this book good! Why haven't you read this yet? Don't give me excuses like, "I've been in class," or "I'm working on a sketch comedy show." Not acceptable. I still don't understand how this book was so funny when it really should have been upsetting. Don't get me wrong, I was plenty worried for a good portion of it, but somehow the tone really straddled the line between light and dark. I was going to say Mr. Hibma was my favorite character, but Shelby is also my favorite character. Everyone's my favorite character, you guys. Read this book. Sidenote: As I was google image searching Citrus County in order to find this picture, I came across SO MANY MUGSHOTS!

No comments:

 
/* Google_Analytics_Code */