Sunday, January 9, 2011

Easy A

Last night I saw Easy A with H. and a friend of ours. I love teen movies; we don't need to call Freud on a Beyond-the-Grave phone to figure out why (but if we did, he probably be like, "It's because you were chubby, unhappy, and had an underbite as a teenager and you're vicariously living out all your past fantasies. Also, I'm a raging misogynist. See yas!"). The point is, I love them, and in my opinion there are two types of teen movies. Forgive the outdated genderness of this, but here goes: there are teen movies for guys (that girls either pretend to like so that guys will like them, or just actually like because they have poor taste), the ones that involve too-obvious gross-out gags, or a parent walking in on someone masturbating. Then there are the movies made for girls, the ones that actually have jokes and characters. The kind of movie that, after a guy comes to see it with you, he'll say something like, "That was actually pretty good," like he's surprised, like, what, did you expect it to be shitty because the cast is largely female and there wasn't any implied nudity in the trailer? This movie fell into the latter category, obviously. Also both of the guys I saw this movie with expected to like it (I think) because I am an adult now and I don't hang out with douchebags.

Here are my thoughts on Easy A:

-I know this is a super-obvious thing to point out, and the same thing could be said about virtually all teen movies, but COME ON! Emma Stone is a stone fox, you guys. There is absolutely no way in hell that someone who looks like her would be "invisible" in high school.

-Thomas Haden Church was so good, right? Why was his part so small? The plot with him/Lisa Kudrow seemed so shoe-horned in there that I feel like it must've originally been larger. Wishful thinking, probably.

-I liked (okay, l-o-v-e-d) all the references to the John Hughes oeuvre (but why doesn't ANYONE remember Pretty in Pink?), but they ultimately reminded me of the one way this movie actually disappointed me: not enough ~*~*romance~*~*! I thought the relationship between Olive and Gossip Girl Guy was totally sweet, and I wish there'd been more of it.

-Did you notice that Miranda from Lizzy McGuire was (so, so) briefly in Easy A? Easter egg for the Disney Channel superfans. I loved Lizzie McGuire. Can you believe that the only Gordo/Lizzie resolution we got was the lame, closed-mouthed kiss at the end of the Lizzie McGuire movie? Ugh. Gordo 4evs. It's nice to see Miranda's still around, though.

-People can hate on Amanda Bynes and her weird twitter account all they want. I love her! Also, Alex and I loved the Amanda Show when we were kids.

If you haven't seen Easy A yet, rent it! Or see it at a dollar theatre, whatever.

No comments:

 
/* Google_Analytics_Code */