Sunday, April 5, 2009

Adventureland, Part Deux

I think it's appropriate to start this out with a youtube comment. This is Tizzy77's opinion:
"This movie is not funny at all. They make it seem like it's this great comedy from the trailer and instead there are barely any funny parts at all. Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader are barely in it. If you are in the mood for comedy I seriously suggest you watch something else. And don't get me started on how annoying the lead characters are....2 hours of my life gone forever."

Right. Okay. At least youtube user 36Navy gets it:
"Kennywood! I got caught smoking a blunt and drinking beer in the parking lot. The security guards took my weed but let me go into the park drunk and high. Those were the days."

So anyway. If we're all ready to get real (I am), Adventureland is the best movie I've seen in a really long time. Basically, you should see it if you've recently graduated from college, only to find yourself broke with no career opportunities or marketable skills, and are then forced to live with your parents for an embarrassing amount of time. Not that that's ever happened to anyone who writes this blog!!!!!! But if it has happened to you, then you will find the movie's portrayal of such an event to be remarkably astute.

Here are some bullet-ed thoughts I had:
-Greg Mottola captured the thing I remember most from a shitty summer job: the music. Except in my world it was a department store, not an amusement park, and the song was "I'm So Excited!" instead of "Rock Me Amadeus," and it played every 15 minutes.
-Ryan Reynolds. Where do you stand? I am firmly pro-Reynolds. I think the main thing holding him back from being a bigger star is that he's not good-looking enough or bad-looking enough. Although he did marry Scarlett Johannson (ugh, too lazy to look up the spelling, people), so maybe that disproves my "not good looking enough" theory.
-Because I'm not a 14 year old, I went into this movie hating Kristen Stewart. But she was so good! I don't know, man. What's her deal? Kristen Stewart, if you are reading this and would like to explain, once and for all, what your deal is, contact us. I'm pretty sure an interview here would just be great for your career.

The takeaway: this movie made me nostalgic for summer. And I wish there was a happier ending for Martin Starr's character. :(

1 comment:

Alex said...

SPELLING ERROR IN THE LAST PARAGRAPH. NOT ACCEPTABLE.

 
/* Google_Analytics_Code */