Thursday, September 16, 2010

Freedom!

I gave in. I checked out Freedom from the library. I am extremely sensitive to hype; that's why I read Twilight (well, that AND my masochistic nature AND my love of making fun of things AND the fact that it was cheap). I just could not resist Freedom after hearing about it everywhere. Will I actually read it? Probably not. But I will at least open it.
I think Jonathan Franzen is a remarkable author (I'm really going out on a limb here by asserting an unusual opinion, I know), but come on...Freedom is a TERRIBLE title. Titling my stories was the thing I sucked the most at in my workshops. Almost every critique would be like, "Um, your title? Not doing it for me." So I understand, Franzen. I get it. Titles are hard. But couldn't you have come up with something that didn't make me think of two George Michael songs?


On second thought, never mind! Those are great songs. Keep up the good title work.

No comments:

 
/* Google_Analytics_Code */