Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Book & Film Clubs

It's June 1st, which means we let the entirety of May go by without mentioning our Book & Film Club picks. You were probably so worried! Well, you didn't have to be, because Book Club solidered on (this is a joke, later it will makes sense, I promise)and Film Club kind of limped along sadly.
Our May pick for Book Club was The Barracks Thief by Tobias "Toby" Wolff.

It made me cringe a lot, and it made me sad, and I read it in the course of one night. I had a difficult time picking something for Film Club, so we are going to double up when Alex comes home and watch two month's worth of films in one month. I ended up choosing Douglas Sirk's Magnificent Obsession, which begins the way I like all my movies to begin...with a magnificent speed boat crash. Yeah, I'm making Alex watch this.

This is basically how Film Club will go from now on. Alex will pick something intelligent, and I will pick a film that features lines like, "I didn't ask for your resuscitator!"
And Book Club for this month is a doozie. Something I've wanted to read for a long time...

East of Eden! This breaks the only rule of TTWF Book Club, which is NO OPRAH. We got close enough with our first pick. But oh well. Sometimes rules are meant to be broken. John Steinbeck agrees.

"Like my jacket?"- John Steinbeck

No comments:

 
/* Google_Analytics_Code */