Monday, February 7, 2011

Valentine's Week!

In honor of Valentine's Week, I'm going to be posting about Things I Love. Alex is welcome to do the same. You could argue that is what we do on the blog all the time anyway, and you would be right. But let's get down to business.
I love documentaries, because I am a nerd and a voyeur. Nothing in the world is more interesting to me than how other people live their lives, and since other people will not let me in their homes to observe them, I'm forced to rely on documentaries. One of the best and strangest I've seen in awhile is I Think We're Alone Now.
I first learned about this fine film on Fourfour, which is (obviously) the best website. Rich does the best job of explaining the movie's allure, so I'm not really going to try to explain it too much here. Just know that it's about two people, Jeff and Kelly, who are obsessed with 80's pop sensation (and 2011 Syfy movie sensation) Tiffany. Even though her name is said repeatedly and her image is almost constantly on screen, this movie is not about Tiffany. Rich says it best:
This movie serves as an alternative to that shunning: it is the chance for these people to say their piece, to tell their stories without being interrupted by absence. Besides (and this, I think, is something that always stands): people are funny, period. Through nature, nurture and both working together, everyone's got their shit that makes them behave the way they do, and that behavior is, more times than not, amusing. You can enjoy it with a sense of endearment, not malice.
This movie was funny and heartbreaking. Even though there's the initial "Isn't this wacky?" angle, you'll really end up feeling Kelly and Jeff's loneliness and pain. And, really, is being obsessed with Tiffany really all that different from being obsessed with anything else?

No comments:

 
/* Google_Analytics_Code */